You’re in for a treat today!
I finally decided to post the recipe for one of my favorite side dishes – Asian Slaw with Rockstar Peanut Sauce. Okay, the name might sound kinda cheesy, but this stuff is too tasty to be called anything but Rockstar. I could literally make this slaw every week if there weren’t any other recipes to make!
I mean, if my cabbage-disliking husband polishes off a bowl of this slaw and then goes for seconds, that says a lot!
The Rockstar Peanut Sauce makes this slaw plate-licking delicious – literally, as I might have been seen licking my salad plate and my fingers after eating this before! The secret of the sauce is in combination of my homemade peanut butter and light miso paste. In case this combo sounds strange to you, just take my word for it: it’s one of the most genius food pairings ever!
I’m sure regular, store-bought smooth peanut butter will work too in this recipe, but I usually make this sauce with my homemade PB – it doesn’t contain any added oils or other additives, and just tastes better.
This sauce can be used both as a dressing for slaws/salads and as a dip for any Asian-inspired appetizers, finger foods, crudités, etc. Rob loves this sauce served along fresh vegetable spring rolls – aside from my chickpea salad sandwiches, spring rolls with the Rockstar Peanut Sauce are his favorite meal ever!
Don’t forget about the giveaway I’m running right now: 2 winners will each get a copy of Eat This: Meal Salads & Whole Food Dressings e-book by Renee Tougas! —-> You can sign up for the giveaway over here until March 9th at 11:59 pm. The winners will be announced on March 10-11th.
A delicious fresh vegetable accompaniment to any Asian-style meals, vegan barbecues, etc. If you have the Rockstar peanut sauce ready, this slaw comes together in minutes. The sauce can also be used as a dip for other foods.
- 2 cups green cabbage, thinly chopped
- 1 cup purple cabbage, thinly chopped
- Alternatively, use 3 cups of green or purple cabbage (if you have only one kind on hand)
- 1 large carrot, peeled and sliced into matchsticks
- ¼ medium red onion, sliced
- 1 ½ Tbsp smooth peanut butter (I use my homemade peanut butter)
- 1 ½ Tbsp light miso paste
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped cilantro
- ½ Tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- ½ tsp Sriracha sauce (or more to taste, if you like it spicier)
- 1 tsp granulated garlic powder
- ¼ cup filtered water
- In a small bowl, combine all of the ingredients except water. Mix until a uniform paste forms. Add water; whisk for 15-20 seconds with a fork to make a smooth sauce. Taste, adjust any of the ingredients to taste (if you like it sweeter, spicier, etc.) You can add 1-2 tbsp of water to make the sauce thinner. Set the sauce aside while you prepare the vegetables for the slaw. (The sauce can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.)
- Add the chopped vegetables to a large salad bowl. Pour the Rockstar Sauce over the vegetables; mix well. Serve right away, or refrigerate until ready to use, up to 2 days. The slaw tastes the best after at least 30 min of refrigeration.
This recipe was featured in Virtual Vegan Linky Potluck #5 over here.
Question: Do you have a favorite side dish that you make a lot?