As someone who was born and raised in Russia, I’ll admit that borscht was as big of a staple in our diet as some of the Western stereotypes about Russia may paint it. Every family had their own cherished recipe that was followed religiously and made at least every other week year round. Even though the main ingredients usually stayed the same (beets, cabbage, potatoes), other components added to borscht often varied from family to family. I’ve posted the veganized version of my family’s borscht recipe before. Recently, however, I decided to experiment with my classic vegan borscht recipe – and my new Black Lentil and Ginger Borscht recipe was born! Of course, adding ginger to the classic Russian borscht may sound like blasphemy to a traditional Russian housewife, but I wasn’t afraid of ruffling some feathers here. I found that it actually brightens up the beet flavor, taking the … Read the rest of the post
Vegan Runner Eats Series
- Never Say Never: Why I’m Against Boycotting Non-Vegan Businesses That Offer Vegan Options (and a Few Cases When I’m For It)
- Easy Vegan Potato Salad Recipe – a Perfect Side Dish for Mother’s Day Brunch, Barbecues, Picnics, etc.
- 5 Microwave-Friendly Vegan Recipes for Any Occasion. Vegan Kitchen Simplified Series.
- New Recipe: Black Lentil and Ginger Borscht with Cashew-Sunflower Seed Sour Cream
- Our Vegan Experience in New Orleans During the Mardi Gras Weekend of 2017
Top Posts & Pages
No Meat Athlete Training Plan Package – from 5k to Half and Full Marathon
Search posts by tags:2013 Holiday Running Streak beans Caldwell Esselstyn Jr chickpeas cinnamon cooking tips dining out easy recipes exercise Fat Free Vegan fitness giveaways ground flax health inspiration Italian John McDougall kale marathon training Michael Greger motivation oil-free recipe plant based diet potatoes restaurant reviews Rock'n'Roll Seattle Marathon running running tips Seattle soups T. Colin Campbell Thanksgiving traditional cuisines traveling vegan vegan blogosphere vegan breakfast vegan dinner Vegan Kitchen Simplified vegan lunch vegan nutrition vegan wisdom vegetables whole food plant based diet whole grains