Oh my, so much has happened in the past few days! The biggest change of all (at least for me) is that I’ve just started a new job – yes, something other than tending to this blog like it’s my full-time occupation 🙂 Am I excited? Of course! I mean, it’s going to be great to be out of the house and around other people, especially since I was beginning to feel like all of the stress over my blog was slowly making me go cuckoo. Plus, I am going to use my writing abilities full time at this job and get paid for it – not too bad, huh?
But wait – what about this site?! You need not worry: I am going to continue to pay as much attention to it as I can, but at the same time I don’t want to spread too thin in all directions because that could become ugly. I’ll try to post at least 1-2 times a week, so bear with me!
And now – the recipe! (Wondering if you’ve won the giveaway from Insoles And Beyond? Scroll down to see the name of the winner below.)
Today I’d like to share with you a recipe for one of my favorite side dishes of late. I find that it works great with almost any ‘mains’, be it veggie burger patties, baked tofu, refried beans or something else.
The credit for my gingered broccoli & cauliflower rightfully goes to Susan Voisin of FatFreeVegan.com. I absolutely love her recipe for roasted okra masala, but okra is kind of pricey and not in season right now, so I decided to experiment with using the good ol’ broccoli and cauliflower. I slightly adjusted the spices as well, and I think the dish came out very good! In fact, it was a big success with my husband, who never ate either of these vegetables before.
An easy and versatile side dish that goes with just about anything. If you like more heat, use a spicier curry powder, or add some red pepper flakes at the end.
- 1 1/2 cup broccoli florets
- 1 1/2 cup cauliflower florets
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1-inch piece of fresh ginger, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp curry powder (mild or spicy)
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- Salt, pepper to taste
- Olive oil cooking spray (or use water/broth instead)
- Preheat the oven to 375° F. Arrange broccoli and cauliflower florets on a cookie sheet. Bake for 10 min, then take the vegetables out, toss them lightly, and bake for 5-7 min more until fork-tender.
- Meanwhile, heat a thick-bottomed pan over medium heat. Once hot, spray the bottom of the pan lightly with olive oil cooking spray (or add 1-2 Tbsp water or vegetable broth if you don't use oil). Add sliced onions, sautee for 3-5 min until they soften, stirring them with a spatula to prevent sticking. Add grated ginger, minced garlic and all of the spices, cook for 1-2 min until the spices get nice and toasty. If they start sticking to the pan, add 1-2 Tbsp of water.
- Once broccoli and cauliflower florets are done, take them out of the oven and add to the pan with onions. Toss the mixture to distribute the spices evenly over the vegetables. Add salt and pepper to taste. That's it!
The giveaway of $50 store credit from InsolesAndBeyond.com collected 527 entries, and the winner is…
Congratulations Darby! You’ll be contacted by the Insoles and Beyond representative over email for further instructions.
For the rest of us, I’ve got even more exciting giveaways coming up in the nearest future, so stay in touch with Vegan Runner Eats by subscribing in the top right corner of this post, or by following the blog on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram!