Hi all! Sorry for keeping silent here on the blog for the past few weeks: our baby daughter Juliana Mary was born on October 1st, and as you may suspect, our lives have changed forever! I’m still going through a major adjustment period, getting used to accomplishing way less of my usual tasks during the day and sleeping in 2 or 3-hour increments at night. But everything fades when I look at her sweet little face!
One of these days I’ll try to get my courage to write Juliana’s birth story, but in the meantime, I’ve got a fun breakfast recipe for you today – easy vegan chocolate chip pancakes with blueberries.
These pancakes have been my go-to recipe for our leisurely weekend breakfasts in the weeks before Juliana’s arrival. It helps that they are oil-free (unless you count the oil/fat in the chocolate chips), delicious, and supereasy to make! And guess what – you probably have all of the ingredients in your house right now 🙂
These pancakes are bursting with flavor thanks to blueberries and chocolate chips – the chips actually melt during the cooking process, creating yummy bursts of chocolate goodness. For a flavor this decadent, it’s good to know that both the berries and the chocolate deliver a nice amount of phytoflavonoids – natural plant-based antioxidants that fight for our health.
Also, I’m using two types of flour here: the fiber-packed whole wheat pastry flour makes the base, and spelt or buckwheat (or any other type of whole grain flour) adds an additional nutrient kick.
Don’t have any exotic flours on hand? Feel free to use all whole wheat pastry or even all-purpose flour here. For a gluten-free version, just use a similar amount of gluten-free flour mix (Bob’s Red Mill all-purpose gluten-free flour gets the most points from the gluten-free folks I know), but I haven’t tried this version yet. Note: you may need to add a binding ingredient like xanthan or guar gum in this case.
I love serving my pancakes with peanut butter, maple syrup and extra fruit like fresh peaches in this case, but feel free to do your own thing here!
These delicious vegan chocolate chip-blueberry pancakes are made with simple ingredients that you probably have in your home right now! Dairy-free, egg-free, oil-free, and easy to make. See Notes* below for gluten-free option.
- 1 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour*
- 1/4 c whole grain flour* such as spelt, buckwheat, rye, teff, etc. (or just use more whole wheat pastry flour)
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- Pinch sea salt
- 1 1/2 cup nondairy milk (I used almond milk)
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup dairy-free chocolate chips (I love these by Equal Exchange)
- 1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen*)
- In a small bowl, mix non-dairy milk with apple cider vinegar. This creates vegan 'buttermilk'. Set aside.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Add mix-ins**.
- Add vanilla extract to the vegan buttermilk mixture.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, mix with a wooden spoon until just combined. Set aside for 10 min to let the vegan buttermilk do its magic with the baking powder.
- Preheat a nonstick pan or a griddle. Once the surface is hot, spoon out the pancake batter onto its surface, about 1/4 - 1/3 cup per pancake. Cook*** over medium-low for about 3 minutes, or until the top surface 'sets', then flip and cook another 2 minutes.
- Enjoy with your favorite toppings: more fruit, peanut butter, maple syrup - sky's the limit!
**If using frozen blueberries, wait to add them to the batter just before cooking the pancakes. Fresh berries are ok to add at any time.
***I like to cover my pan with a lid to ensure even cooking of each pancake on the inside. This also speeds up the process.
Know someone who would love to try this recipe? Share it with them! And stick around for more awesomeness – subscribe to Vegan Runner Eats in the top right corner of this page to receive the latest posts, or follow the blog on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and Instagram!
This post contains affiliate links to Amazon.com. If you make a purchase through affiliate links on my blog, I receive a very small commission that helps me run this website, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for your support!