You’re in for a treat today: I’m sharing my recipe for Asian slaw salad with homemade peanut dressing!
I could literally make this salad every week if there weren’t any other recipes to make. The base for this salad is quite simple – shredded cabbage, carrots, and onions. I like using both purple and green cabbage to make things extra pretty.
The true star of this salad, however, is the homemade peanut dressing. It’s so yummy that even my cabbage-disliking husband polishes off a bowl of this salad and then goes for seconds – that says a lot!
The secret of this dressing is in the combination of peanut butter and light miso paste (I like using my homemade peanut butter recipe here).
In case the combination of miso and peanut butter sounds strange to you, just take my word for it: it’s one of the most genius food pairings ever!
I’m sure regular, store-bought smooth peanut butter will work too in this recipe, but my homemade PB doesn’t contain any added oils or other additives, and just tastes better here.
This dressing can be used both in slaws/salads and as a sauce for any Asian-inspired appetizers, finger foods, crudités, etc. Rob loves it served along fresh vegetable spring rolls. Aside from chickpea salad sandwiches (see my chickpea salad sandwich recipe), spring rolls with this homemade peanut dressing are his favorite meal ever!
This Asian slaw salad makes a great side for my tofu banh mi sandwich. Try them together and make your taste buds sing 🙂
A delicious fresh vegetable accompaniment to any Asian-style meals, vegan barbecues, etc. If you have the Rockstar peanut sauce ready, this slaw comes together in minutes. The sauce can also be used as a dip for other foods.
- 2 cups green cabbage, thinly chopped
- 1 cup purple cabbage, thinly chopped
- Alternatively, use 3 cups of green or purple cabbage (if you have only one kind on hand)
- 1 large carrot, peeled and sliced into matchsticks
- ¼ medium red onion, sliced
- 1 ½ Tbsp smooth peanut butter (I use my homemade peanut butter)
- 1 ½ Tbsp light miso paste
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped cilantro
- ½ Tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 1 Tbsp all-natural maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- ½ tsp Sriracha sauce (or more to taste, if you like it spicier)
- 1 tsp granulated garlic powder
- ¼ cup filtered water
- In a small bowl, combine all of the ingredients except water. Mix until a uniform paste forms. Add water; whisk for 15-20 seconds with a fork to make a smooth sauce. Taste, adjust any of the ingredients to taste (if you like it sweeter, spicier, etc.) You can add 1-2 tbsp of water to make the sauce thinner. Set the sauce aside while you prepare the vegetables for the slaw. (The sauce can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.)
- Add the chopped vegetables to a large salad bowl. Pour the Peanut Dressing over the vegetables; mix well. Serve right away, or refrigerate until ready to use, up to 2 days. The salad tastes the best after at least 30 min of refrigeration.
Question: Do you have a favorite side dish that you make a lot?