When I first decided to commit to a plant-based vegan diet, I came across lots of recipes that required this or that rather exotic ingredient that I didn’t have in my pantry. I don’t like having to make a trip to a health food store every time I find an interesting-looking recipe, so whenever I come across a dish that’s simple and easy to prepare, it just makes my day!
This recipe below falls perfectly into that category: I had some leftover vegan BBQ sauce, so I combined it with canned chickpeas and put the whole thing in the oven, and it came out lovely!
Because of its simplicity, this dish is going to be perfect for anyone who’s new to the plant-based diet. You can easily customize this recipe to your own liking: use some other kind of beans, add more vegetables to the BBQ-bean mixture (some diced carrots and onions should work well), or just leave it as is, because, as they say in the South: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!
- 1 cup whole grain rice (or brown rice)
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4-5 baby portobello mushrooms, diced
- 1/2 cup vegan barbecue sauce - I used my recipe from this post
- dash of sriracha or other hot sauce (optional)
- cilantro or parsley, to garnish
- Cook brown rice according to the package directions. I like to use a rice cooker for this purpose.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Add chickpeas and mushrooms to an ovenproof dish (Pyrex dishes are my go to). Pour barbecue sauce over the mixture, stir, and send to the preheated oven.
- Bake for 15-20 min, stirring a couple times, until the sauce evaporates slightly but doesn't dry out completely. Take the chickpeas out of the oven, stir in hot sauce (if using), and let rest for 5 min.
- To serve: Arrange cooked rice on a plate, top with chickpeas, garnish with cilantro or parsley.
- Bon appetit!
Have you ever made barbecue sauce at home? If yes, how did you like it?