I just love the combination of kale and beans, and find it extremely versatile, both for cold and warm dishes. They can be combined (along with other ingredients) in soups, stews, pasta dishes, salads – whatever your imagination suggests!
Today I’d like to share a recipe for this lovely salad that I mentioned the other day. I like to eat it for lunch every now and then:
This salad is chock-full of superfoods: the combination of kale, avocado, ginger, and miso paste can make wonders for our bodies! Also, the dressing doesn’t involve any added oil, which is exactly what the big-time plant-based diet advocates suggest.
It’s also highly customizable: add or subtract just about any kind of vegetables you want, and you’ve got a new salad! The dressing adds a nice Asian twist to the flavor.
This salad makes a very satisfying lunch thanks to the thickness of raw kale leaves and the fiber in beans. If you choose not to add beans, it can be served as a dinner side salad to accompany any dinner entree!
- 2 cups kale washed and trimmed
- 1/2 can cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 1/4 avocado diced
- 1 carrot sliced
- 1 small tomato sliced
- 1/4 cup red onion sliced
- cilantro or parsley, to taste
- 1/2 tsp fresh grater ginger
- 1/2 Tbsp light miso paste (find it in health food stores)
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup (or more to taste)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1-2 Tbsp water (optional)
- Wash kale leaves, remove the thick central stem, tear the leaves with your hands, and place them in a salad bowl. You should have about 2 cups' worth of kale.
- Add all of the vegetables to the bowl with kale. Add the dressing, toss well, and enjoy!
- To make the dressing: in a separate small bowl, combine all of the dressing ingredients and whisk until well combined. You can add more/less of any ingredients to taste.