I just love the combination of kale and beans, and find it extremely versatile, both for cold and warm dishes. They can be combined (along with other ingredients) in soups, stews, pasta dishes, salads – whatever your imagination suggests!
Today I’d like to share a recipe for this lovely salad that I mentioned the other day. I like to eat it for lunch every now and then:
This salad is chock-full of superfoods: the combination of kale, avocado, ginger, and miso paste can make wonders for our bodies! Also, the dressing doesn’t involve any added oil, which is exactly what the big-time plant-based diet advocates suggest.
It’s also highly customizable: add or subtract just about any kind of vegetables you want, and you’ve got a new salad! The dressing adds a nice Asian twist to the flavor.
For the salad:
- 2 cups kale, washed and trimmed
- 1/2 can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 avocado, diced
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 small tomato, sliced
- 1/4 cup red onion, sliced
- Cilantro or parsley leaves, to taste
For the dressing:
- 1/2 tsp fresh grater ginger
- 1/2 Tbsp light miso paste
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup, (or more to taste)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1-2 Tbsp water (optional)
- Wash kale leaves, remove the thick central stem, tear the leaves with your hands, and place them in a salad bowl. You should have about 2 cups' worth of kale.
- Add all of the vegetables to the bowl with kale. Add the dressing, toss well, and enjoy!
- To make the dressing: in a separate small bowl, combine all of the dressing ingredients and whisk until well combined. You can add more/less of any ingredients to taste.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 233 Total Fat: 4g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 0mg Carbohydrates: 43g Fiber: 10g Sugar: 12g Protein: 12g